The Hearts of Men
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.-Luke 6:45 ESV
People say a lot of things, but it is rarely what they truly mean.
Hidden behind the consonants and vowels are contrary intentions. It is now a default reflex to lie; to deter anyone from seeing the truth, whether they mean good or evil; whether you mean good or evil. We keep hidden chambers and collude in its safety. Oh what a tangled web we weave.
My heart aches because too often it has discern that those it pulled close, were not of the same intentions. Too often, I have come across people who are dishonest. Those who play the hypocrite only to come close and take something. Never caring to leave anything good and sustaining behind.
How can I then trust anyone or form long-term relationships?
Must I walk this life …alone…with the Holy Spirit?
I look at the smiles on their faces. I hear the words that slip from their tongues, but truly I pay attention to the echoes of their hearts, the stain of their character and read the language of their eyes.
Many do not willingly let me read the language of their eyes. The spirit that lives there closes it’s shutters; sometimes very conspicuously.
Even in the midst of having a conversation, sharing a laugh or telling a secret…I discern the hearts of men…and women….that they walk with a spirit of deception. That they handle me with hypocrisy and that they carry a dagger of betrayal.
But in God I live a thousand lives, so I speak with good intentions, I laugh in genuine-inity. I tell a secret …knowing all things done in the dark shall come to light. I walk beside them, as I would walk into the valley of the shadow of death.
I see the spirits in operation….even in time. I hear the utterances of the Holy Spirit.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. – Romans 8:28(KJV)
Lies, Deceit and Betrayal
- I have had my money and my belongings stolen by people who I asked to safe guard my property.
- I had a neighbor who attends my church but has backslidden. I warned him many times that if he turned away from the ways of God the devil would attempt to kill him for good. Last I heard, he had several accidents and it has been proven that he committed repeated acts of betrayal. He started slinking away and spent no time in my company. But I knew something was up. Several times, he full out lied and the Holy Spirit point it out, even has he spoke the words.
- Unfortunately, this is true. My only constant is my mother. On every corner, is sinking sand. I have been turned out, turned away from, belittled, criticized, isolated, stolen from, set up, left to the wolves and even the target of witchcraft. I have sat in front of relatives and listen to them pour out rivers of deceit into my ears. For many, I have seen the acts of judgement being unleashed in their lives. I try not to take comfort from this and pray for their souls.
Co-workers lie, betray and collude.
- Recently, I kept hearing the Holy Spirit telling me, “He is not your friend. Be careful, he is not your friend.” I knew who the spirit referred to. It was a coworker who I decided to make the effort to be friendly with, even knowing that he had a ‘dog heart’. As they call it in my country. He bragged that he was such and that he would dig out people eye. But I remained steadfast in being friendly, praying for his soul. In the end, God allowed me to see him do repeatedly, what he said he would do. Not only to me but to others. But I forgive and I leave my defence to God; the great and terrible God, who I know as Abba.
- I often say that every Pastor that comes in front of me to preach, I raise them up to the lens of God. He knows the depths of their heart and their motives. Many have been found wanting. I do not suffer foolishness and even leave the service, because I do not believe in allowing my eyes, ears or spirit to be contaminated. Jehovah would point out whether the person was operating from His spirit, the flesh or something else. Some even operate with a spirit of error or are fully being used to teach false doctrines from Satan.
- After many years, God granted me leave of my old church because they were caught up in severe witchcraft and the judgement of God was upon them for many years. So He allowed me to cease my attendance there and through the years, my heart is in pain for those who remain and who are being shackled. I continue to pray for them also.
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? – Jeremiah 17:9-10 ESV
It breaks my heart that I feel that I can trust no one. My experiences are far too numerous and injurious of having suffered betrayal at the hands of my enemies. Because how can I not care for and love people, even when they mean to kill me?
I remember an experience several years ago, I suffered severe persecution for four years at an organisation that reveled in crushing the souls of its employees. In the middle of my tenure, having left the office and upon returning I heard all my coworkers ripping into my character. I sat in the reception area and listened as each and everyone who sat in that room, the new, the old and the passive cackled like hungry hyneas. They talked and laughed and devoured my name like ravaging wolves. A lady who I had known before working there, entered the room and after she left they ripped into her because she was friendly to me.
I felt justified in my actions of the past weeks to keep my mouth shut and not engage with them. I was polite, having manners; but when surrounded on all sides by wolves, you huddle by the fire of Almighty God.
Jesus said: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
He knows my heart for in the midst of my melancholy, in the midst of rummaging through the murky depths of this thing they call a gift of the spirit, He sent His word.
“But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
So I take heart.
I wrestle discouragement.
I wrestle depression.
I wrestle loneliness.
I wrestle dejection.
I wrestle isolation.
But each time, I get up and take heart. I encourage myself.
This gift is formidable, but to the sensitive of heart, it is something else.
I pray that as I gain experience, wisdom and understanding God would heal the wounds that I have suffered and I will continue to extend the gift of love to all men.
If you are like me, I pray that you too will receive healing for your heart, mind and soul.
May the spirit of Jehovah be our help and balm, forever.
I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak. — Ezekiel 34:16
Copyright © 2017 · All Rights Reserved · Denise N. Fyffe
About the writer:
Poetess Denise N. Fyffe is a published author of over 30 books, for more than six years and enjoys volunteering as a Counselor. She is a freelance writer for online publications such as Revealing the Christian Life, Jamaica Rose, Entertainment Trail, My Trending Stories among others.
Check out her book Fibroids: The Alien Assassins in My Body
In this testimonial, Denise shares intimate details from her childhood through to adulthood. She discusses, how fibroids or as they are also called myomas, fibromyomas, or leiomyomas, have affected her daily life and the adjustments that she was forced to make. After reading this book, women will become more informed about a disease that affects 80 percent of women; while making life miserable for one in four.